Since our school does not have a learning management system, students and teachers alike must reach out to the available free tools. Our clubs all have fb pages, and many teachers use fb to curate their course materials. The only drawback that I've experienced is that fb is so addictive for some kids that they refuse to use it or their parents refuse to let them use it. In general, I have found fb to be a very useful tool for keeping track of students and disseminating information.
I haven't quite made the leap to Twitter and so can't speak to that!
I can see where FB would be beneficial for Clubs, I cannot see using it in the classroom. I agree with you and the drawbacks you face. I personally would not want to encourage my son to use either FB or Twitter. I can see where both are very addicting.
ReplyDeleteShannon,
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is essential to grab what is free and available. How does your school ensure that inappropriateness does not find its way onto your FB pages?
Inappropriateness is so rare. When it occurs, we deal with it on an individual basis. Usually another student brings it to our attention, and we call the student in and ask them to remove the offending comment. I do not know of any inappropriate activity on school-sponsored fb pages. The only questionable comments that I know of have occurred student to student, and this would happen whether or not the school was involved in social media.
ReplyDeleteIf a student were to post something inappropriate on the Math Club fb group page or on my class page, I would just ask him or her to remove it, and perhaps contact a parent. I would handle it just like a classroom outburst.
I would agree with you that it is useful for clubs! I know my sons soccer and baseball coaches used it all the time for announcements and such! I do not have it fb, but I did just make the leap to twitter. I am following different educational things and autism people. So far I am finding it fun! We'll see how much I keep up when school starts!
ReplyDelete